July 23, 2011

low-maintenance?

This is the case with some of my closest friends:
I can have absolutely no communication with them whatsoever for months at a time, and when I see them again nothing is different. It is a rare relationship in which I feel compelled to stay in daily (or weekly) contact with someone. I leave for two months each summer and I honestly can't think of a time during that period when I called my parents, siblings or friends just to catch up and say hi. That's the way I am. I like to think of it as low-maintenance, but in reality it's probably equidistant from that and sheer laziness.

I've had brief conversations with two friends about this moderately undesirable trait I've seen in myself. One friend felt exactly the same way I do. People we don't see on a day-to-day basis, we don't feel a desperate need to constantly catch up with them. It's more, "I'll see you when I see you." We're not gonna break off all ties of friendship just because we haven't spent copious amounts of time together within the past three months... Just chill out, errrbody.

Except, the other friend verbally smacked me upside the head. The gist of this colloquial beating was, "Suck it up and put forth some effort." I'm ashamed to say that in the midst of justifying my own lethargy I had never taken into account the very real fact that those relationships are not about me. That might not be what I need out of the friendship, but should my primary focus really be on my own needs? What a great friend I am... Yikes. Even if my friends consider themselves to be "low-maintenance" as well, how am I cultivating the relationships God has blessed me with if I'm content to just sit and put forth the minimal amount of effort to just barely keep said friendships alive? I mean, really. There's a deeper-rooted issue here, and it's about more than the way I interact with people. It's the way I'm living my life. Am I floating, letting myself drift in whatever direction this capricious world  blows me? How is that living intentionally? Our lives have the potential for purpose far beyond the restrictions of complacent American life. I want to leave a real, tangible, lasting legacy. Or I say that... My actions are supposed to reflect my desires. So what do I want, really? Easy, void of responsibility, lounging around and only taking action when it satisfies my selfishness. I'm such a narcissist... How often do I act on the initial premise that something IS about me, only to loose my footing on that slippery fallacy and watch my castle of shiny grace-centered pride crumble to bits? NOTHING is about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment