August 26, 2011

Dear Mom and Dad (and anyone else who might care),

I'm all settled in my dorm...
There are lots of nice people in my hall.
We just watched a movie with a projector on a giant screen under the stars.
And by we,
I mean hundreds of people that I don't know who also happen to go to UNI.
It wasn't a good movie, so I watched the cosmos instead.
I'm done with my homework.
I get it done early.
My teachers are all normal human beings.
Some of them are even kind.
I couldn't find one of my classes on Tuesday and I didn't tell anyone.
It wasn't my fault or anything; my schedule had the wrong room number on it.
Don't worry, I figured it out. Eventually...
And went and talked to the professor,
to apologize for my freshman-ness,
and see what I missed and how I could be prepared for the next class:
I handled it by myself.
I felt like a grown-up,
and a scared little kid,
all at the same time.
Every morning I wake up a little too early.
So I go to the union and eat a muffin and drink some juice and read my bible...
And I wait for my day to begin.
People smile at me.
I smile back.
It's been a while since I hit my head on my loft.
A while translates into roughly 6 hours.
I clipped my nails today, because I couldn't play my guitar.
Someone tell my nieces that their aunt loves them, okay?
I'm scared to try to use the coin laundry machines.
I stay up later than I mean to every night.
I miss my brothers.
Advice from my first week: if your biggest pet peeve is air blowing on you,
don't live in a place that's SO hot you're forced to have fans on you 24/7.
I've been eating remarkably heathy meals each day.
My love of spinach is accredited to Earl Taylor.
Thanks, bud.
This morning I awoke to discover the astonishing fact that
both my watch AND the clock on our wall had stopped working overnight.
I proceeded to freak out, thinking I had overslept,
only to find my phone, which had fallen on the floor, revealing the time to be
5:38 AM.
Yep.
I've been quoted in two peoples' Facebook statuses this week.
Reading one made me cry...
The other one was:
"We're church shoppin' like it's Black Friday!"
Explanation:
At the end of the week,
I will have gone to precisely 11 church-affiliated events.
Separate churches.
Separate events.
I'm tired.
I miss my house church.
I miss my Mother church.
I miss...
Remind me to buy batteries.
And more tea bags.
And probably some instant oatmeal, if it's on sale.
I went on a run the other day.
My ancient phone has been working well-- I know you were wondering.
The desk lamp I got from Goodwill has a warning about UV radiation.........
Should I be concerned?
Luke: I've had some time to read C.S.,
but I don't know if I'll be done by Labor Day.
My heels hurt when they touch the floor each morning.
Not so sure what that's about...
Today I called my high school French teacher,
and I thanked her for preparing me so well.
Many of the people in my classes can't pronounce basic vocabulary...
I feel like a French wizard--- magically capable of helping them out.
Sometimes I break pens.
Pencils, highlighters, staplers...
Mom... Should I be watering our plant more? How much sunlight does it need?
I miss your morning hugs.
And the other-times-of-day ones, too.
So far I've only made two paper cranes during my entire time here.
I have a terrible feeling that that's symbolic in some horrible way...
I want a best friend.
I want a best friend who lives near me.
I want a best friend who lives near me and loves Jesus.
I want a best friend who lives near me and loves Jesus and shows it.
I've said my name, majors, hometown and grade more times this week
than my junior and senior years combined.
Dad, you know what a feat that is.
... and I have a picture of us
skating when I was 11 years old
framed on my desk.

With Colossians 1:9-12 and "Do good" written by it.

Sometimes I just feel like crying.
You know what I mean?

5 comments:

  1. Hey Grace! I'm so glad I saw this posted on your Facebook. It made me tear up even a little bit. Enjoy your freshman-ness; it only happens once! I'll pray you find a great church and a best friend who lives near you, love Jesus, and shows it.

    Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Grace! You are so special to God, your family, to me....God WILL give you good friends (the from-the-heart type) Just keep your eyes open for them! Meanwhile, HE is "closer than your skin" [I stole that from the title of a book a friend of mine wrote.] HE wants to fill the lonely spots.

    When I first transferred to ISU (from UNI), which would have been equivalent to my senior year in college, I cried all the way back to Ames on several ocassions (occasions?) that first fall.

    Churches--there is an E Free on Main Street--really small church, but I really like the pastor (Gary). I haven't been there for a while, though.

    LOVE YOU! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am sitting in a meeting about a topic unrelated to me...with tears in my eyes. I miss you.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britney BockstahlerAugust 26, 2011 1:49 PM

    Grace this is really cool!! I feel like just learned a lot about you that I didn't know, but its nice to know there is someone who is feeling just like me. This hard, its new, its fun, but its scary about what the next day will bring. Just keep getting through each day, God helps us all the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, I remember exactly how you feel. I compare it to one of those maple tree seed helicopters, the bliss of twirling, falling, getting stuck, sputtering through bushes and blades of grass, with no solid footing all the way down. Don't worry, your firm foundation is beneath you, when you land on your feet, others will grab onto you for strength. Be ready..."Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you..." 1 Peter 3:15
    Love you, dear Grace, grow!

    ReplyDelete