August 11, 2011

we've almost arrived.

I'm approaching the end of something, but I'm not entirely sure what that something is. Childhood? Sounds odd saying I'm an adult now... It's like, "When did THAT happen? When did I stop being a kid?" But I guess these things don't ever really have a definitive closure... I don't think it's quite the beginning of something new, though; not yet at least. So that places me in a kind of limbo for another week and a half.
I feel very non-existent.
I'm leaving my family. And my room. And my town. I'm not a part of my high school anymore, leaving all those great people (and all the sub-par ones, too) behind for... for what? A new community, a new home, a new school, a new job, a new group of yet-to-be-determined friends.
SIDE NOTE: if you stare at the word 'new' for too long it starts to look like it's not spelled correctly. I'm also starting to question the context in which I've used it. None of these things are actually new. They've been there for quite a jolly good chunk of time; other people have occupied the space I'm headed towards, and been quite comfortable in my figurative to-be-inherited shoes. The only new thing about my rapidly approaching circumstances is... me.

Last night Ali and I went on a walk. In passing my old elementary school, we felt compelled to wander over to the playground and swing for a bit. The conversation was gold; we talked about family, we talked about friends. Life, faith, struggles, joys, and the impending college experiences we're headed in different directions to experience in a matter of weeks. I gave her a fantastic little tour of the Fellows playground which, by the way, is basically the coolest thing ever. It's practically a castle. So, continuing to discuss the complexity of life, we sat up in one of the towers for... an hour? two hours? three? Who knows..

At some point, though, I noted how peculiarly picturesque that particular moment in time was. Sounds like something that should be in a movie, doesn't it? Sitting in your elementary school playground with a dear friend, at the end of your last summer of childhood, about to go off to college for the first time, gazing at the opportunities and lessons ahead, pondering faith and relationships and life. I feel as though that moment is one I'll remember for a real long time.

I'm being weirdly sentimental....

Meh.
The day is drawing nearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment