August 29, 2011

...there your heart will be also.

Sometimes it's necessary to take a step back
and realize what things in your life you've elevated to the highest priority.
IDOLATRY.
I don't worship false gods.
I don't bow down before a large golden statue of a cow.
I don't idolize celebrities...
But when I put family, school and friendships
before my relationship with God,
even if only slightly,
those things, which were good things,
are now idols in my life.

....Dangit.



"He only sees one thing, he cares for one thing,
he lives for one thing, he is swallowed up in one thing;
and that one thing is to please God.
Whether he lives, or whether he dies --
whether he has health, or whether he has sickness--
whether he is rich, or whether he is poor--
whether he pleases men, or whether he gives offense--
whether he is thought wise, or whether he is thought foolish--
whether he gets blame, or whether he gets praise--
whether he gets honor, or whether he gets shame--
for all this the zealous man cares nothing at all.
He burns for one thing;
and that one thing is to please God,
and to advance God's glory."
- J.C. Ryle

So, where is my treasure?
I've got to continually remind myself:
the things that are seen are transient,
but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:18

1 comment:

  1. I love this part: "when I put family, school and friendships before my relationship with God, even if only slightly, those things, which were good things, are now idols in my life." That's brilliantly said. And yet, oh, so hard to apply. Because those are things that our culture values, that our friends value, that our families value, and each of them exerts pressure for you to line your values up with theirs. The trick is knowing how to value those things appropriately whilst never sacrificing the place of God in your life.

    ReplyDelete