January 17, 2011

The Maxwell House Church

Uptown church met last night at the Stagg's house on Maxwell St. (affectionately referred to as the Maxwell House Church.) We've been meeting since August and kind of figuring out what our evening meal and gathering time is going to look like. I think everyone is slowly discovering their role, and it's been hard for me to know what part I play in this little community. A tradition has started that before the meal, Charlie asks the leaders of different households to share their testimonies with the group before we break bread and begin eating. The conversation after the meal doesn't have a rigid structure and we have a growing sense of community. There have been things that I've wanted to say but I hadn't found the right context in which to share; I've wanted to share Isaiah 40, a passage that has been particularly meaningful to me; I've wanted to share my struggles with sharing my spiritual gifts... I brought my guitar one Sunday to see if I could practice with another musician after the meeting. But one of the leaders promptly asked me to lead worship, and it was terrifying. It went perfectly fine, but I've been constantly struggling with putting myself out there as a new guitar player and not-a-singer, with how to bless the community of believers and not worry about my lack of skill. 
I said all that to say this:

Our meeting yesterday was amazing.

We gathered before supper and Charlie told me he'd like me to share my testimony and break the bread. I am a little girl. Little girls don't get to play roles like that at church... But this is a house church, so I guess we're blazing our own trails. After the meal we started the meeting and I once again lead worship. When we were done singing, someone felt compelled to share because of one of the lines we sang. I felt like God was actually using me-- He was working through the music to grow our fellowship and bring us closer together. Later, a new mom shared some of her struggles with feeling cooped up this winter and not being able to get in the word due to the demands of her current station in life, caring for a newborn. She mentioned wanting to open her bible and read a passage that really spoke about God's majesty and power, like Isaiah 40. I had to laugh at my savior's insight. When she was done sharing, I picked up a bible and read the passage aloud, though I guess I didn't need it because I memorized it last summer with some campers. We prayed for her and then a few others shared. Caleb went into a more structured group discussion on the use of spiritual gifts in the context of our community-- God presented a perfect situation for me to share what I'd been struggling with. Edification. The group's ideas, encouragement and insight flowed together flawlessly, as if it had been choreographed and tailored to each person's specific needs. And I'm sure it was.

I've never been more excited about church in my life.
This is it.
This is what it's supposed to feel like.
This is what Jesus and Paul and the apostles intended; I can feel it.

1 comment:

  1. yes Yes YES!!!
    You've got it, Grace.
    Keep running with it.

    ReplyDelete