October 25, 2011

my heart is breaking, overflowing

You are so loving, so kind-hearted.
One of the most generous, forgiving souls
I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
And yet you're on a path to destruction
paved with sweet thoughts and good deeds
that will fool everyone
right up until it really matters.
On that Day,
do you think the perfect, holy, almighty God
will look at all your shiny happy actions
and give you a pat on the head
and a first-class ticket to paradise?
You sin just like the rest of us,
like everyone who has ever lived
---apart from one.
And that One
was mocked and tortured and murdered
and had the horrific wrath of a righteous Judge poured on him
to save us all from the death we earned for our sinfulness.
For the sake of mankind.
FOR YOU.
You've lived a wonderful life;
that much can be seen from the surface.
But do you think it counts for eternity?
No matter how good we are,
we don't deserve it.
We can't earn it.
And if we try to do it on our own,
we scorn his shame
and set ourselves on a steadfast course to Hell.
Forever is coming.
Each day of our Earthly life wisps by as eternity draws nearer and nearer.
And saying that you don't quite know what you believe,
or that your idea of God is just different,
or that you've got your whole life to figure it out
is a cop-out.
And it doesn't change anything.
My heart breaks daily
for the condition of your soul.
But I want you to know
that, while I ache constantly out of love for you,
I rest in this assurance:
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt
that if our Creator chooses to give you a glimpse of eternity
and enables you to see His all-surpassing grace,
you will be irresistibly drawn to Him.
I long for that day.
I pray for it earnestly.
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment