November 3, 2011

the origami thing.

"What's with all the birds?"
-anybody who has ever noticed how many paper cranes I make daily.

Well...
I need to be doing something with my hands
------ otherwise I have a hard time listening.
Possible ADD? Not sure...

I used to doodle.
Teachers got mad.

I started biting my nails.
Mom got mad.

In the 7th grade, I watched David Lee make a paper crane.
I watched and learned and began clumsily making little birds of my own.
Teachers didn't yell when flammable avians began appearing on their bookshelves, my mom could handle the tiny creatures cluttering the counters around our house (as long as you could see some white at the ends of my nails), and I was able to pay attention in AP U.S. History; everybody's happy.
As a bonus, my long nails are helpful in making irrationally tiny cranes, which other people always seem to get a kick out of.
After a while I could do it with my eyes closed.

It might be conservative to say that I make lots of them.


I don't know what my point is.
I've just noticed recently
that tons of people I know associate me with paper cranes.
I like it, I think...
But it's a little odd.
I suppose I can see how this random useless talent might be endearing to people. The end result --a paper bird-- isn't what I'm in it for; I just need to be doing something with my hands. Though, I do enjoy the look of joyful fascination on peoples' faces when I place a minuscule bird in front of them.

It looks a little something like this:


tee-hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment